Are you on a tight budget? Here are some tips and tricks to getting the best experience out of thrift store shopping.
- Ø Budget. Ask yourself the question how much can I get for the set amount of dollars you have set aside for your shopping trip.
- Ø Stereotypes. Get rid of the stereotypes that are associated with second hand or thrift shops. Not all of them will be the greatest, but overall you may find a treasure trove of pieces at affordable prices.
- Ø Inspect. Make sure to inspect each item to make sure that there are no holes, broken zippers, discolorations and so on.
- Ø Dry clean. Is the item or items dry clean only? You may have found a great deal, but what are the odds that you will actually dry clean it?
- Ø Wardrobe. These shops work out economically if you are trying to expand your wardrobe. Things such as trying certain colors, styles, or shopping for a single season.
- Ø Items. Thrift shops are an excellent resource to find items that are generally always overpriced. They could be any of the following: belts, accessories, handbags, costumes and so on.
- Ø Wash. Make sure to thoroughly was each item once you get them home. This should realistically apply to buying any clothing from any store.
- Ø Sales. Always keep your eyes open for sales. Some shops will run days where items are ½ off or even lower prices on certain categories of items.
- Ø Ask. Make sure to ask employees how often they rotate their stock.
- Ø Plan. It is important to plan ahead before going on a thrift shop excursion. These shops are not generally as organized as your mainstream stores or malls. Give yourself time to be able to sift through all of the merchandise to find your great treasures!
Know that you can spice up your wardrobe for a fraction of the cost that you would normally spend at high-end stores.